[Asterisk-Users] Linux basics

Jean-Michel Hiver hiver.j at wanadoo.fr
Fri Dec 10 18:52:51 MST 2004

Jim Guy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am just starting to research Asterisk and I would like to install it
> on a PC to try out. I have looked around quite a bit but I haven't
> found much information on the Linux part. I know you need to put Linux
> on the PC first but what version or flavor of Linux do you recommend?

Hi Jim,

I highly recomment knoppix. You can boot it and use it from the CD which
means that you can get used to the system without formatting anything on
your computer, and you can subscribe to the friendly debian-users
mailing list (make sure you google when you have a question though...).

Once you feel confident you can install the system on your hard disk by
launching a terminal and using the tool 'knx2hd'. Once that's done,
update your system with the commands:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

configure your network interface with 'netcardconfig'. Once that's done,
to install asterisk type:

apt-get install asterisk asterisk-sounds asterisk-docs zaptel

This should be get you going. Don't forget to check for the asterisk
handbook (pdf) and the  voip-info.org wiki. I also recommend you buy a
couple of budgetone sip phones for testing purposes.

Best Regards,
Jean-Michel.