[Asterisk-Users] OT: How do I know if I should have IO-APIC?

Dave Cotton dcotton at linuxautrement.com
Fri Dec 10 08:40:41 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 10:18 -0500, David Cook wrote:
> With regards to the IRQ sharing situation on 400P/X100P cards how would
> I know if I can use IO-APIC?
>
> I am running RHEL 3 on a Dell PowerEdge 1400SC. RHEL installs without
> IO-APIC support. Is this because RH is overly conservative or because
> it queried my machine and that is the appropriate option?
>
> Does RHEL 3 have a kernel for IO-APIC if appropriate or am I expected to
> do a custom kernel build to get there from here?

In a reply earlier this week Steve Critchfield said the same as I will
now.  The first thing I do when I install a new system is download and
configure a plain vanilla kernel from kernel.org. Distributions are like
ready to wear tailors, they try and make something that fits everybody
so by definition it will fit nobody exactly.

RH, Mandrake et al create kernels that they think will give the most
appropriate results in a normal usage system. * is far from a normal
usage system.

--
Dave Cotton <dcotton at linuxautrement.com>