[Asterisk-Users] NEC Univerge

Peter Childs peter.childs at nec.com.au
Thu Dec 9 15:43:25 MST 2004

 I have one sitting around here, only the SV7000T module though (not the
 SV7000S sip handset server), and a few handsets and media gateways.

 The SV7000 is basically just the CPU module removed from their IPX
 hybrid tdm/voip models for customers that want a 'pure ip' solution.

 The software is pretty much identical to the IPX line of software, so
 its background is traditional PBX as opposed to VOIP switch.

 As such things like having two modules for redudancy with fast failover
 is 100%.   Solid state storage.   If you need to setup some sort of
 large distributed voip system with transparency there are quite a few
 options such as 'fusion' (each nodes as a part of a single-pbx-system,
 but is still capable of self operation), or the surviable remote
 gateway (like redudancy, but remote from the core platform)

 Very mature software, very stable.   However its build from a voice
 perspective, not a data perspective, and its not a open source system.

 The dtermIP telephones are very nice units, however they are not SIP
 telephones, they run NEC's proprietory 'protims' protocol over IP,
 with a few other smarts.

 I managed to get some basic telephony working with a bit of back end
 java 'pretending' I was a protims server, and was thinking of writing
 an asterisk channel, but I think that would be the end of my job *grin*

 Horses for courses.

 Cheers,
   Peter

 NOTE the views of myself do not represent the views of my company,
 well its not really my company, but you know what I mean.