[Asterisk-Users] very OT - basic newbie networking question

Howard Lowndes lannet at lannet.com.au
Thu Dec 9 12:37:49 MST 2004

You need to ensure that the * box is set up to forward packets - set
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward (I think that is it, without checking) to
the value 1, something like:
echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 02:57, Asterisk wrote:
> Sorry to ask such a basic question:
>
> I have a * box with 2 nics in the following setup:
>
> Internet
> |
> 192.168.5.253 (firewall)
> |
> 192.168.5.xxx network (gw 192.168.5.253)
> |
> 192.168.5.10 (* nic 1)
> 192.168.6.10 (* nic 2)
> |
> 192.168.6.xxx network
>
> The netmask for both networks is 255.255.255.0
>
> The 192.168.6.xxx networks has a 48 port switch solely for the use of
> cicso 7940 phones, the 192.168.5.xxx is for the pc's (winxp) / servers
> (2003) etc.
>
> I want to be able to access the phones (telnet/web etc) from the .5.xxx
> network, and I want the phones to be able to access the .5.xxx network.
>
> I have tried various combinations, to no success - hence the plea for
> help. There is *too* much google for 2 nic networking !
>
> So, finally to the question:
>
> What do I need to do to achieve my goal ? would some kind soul supply
> m,e with the routing table and / or network settings that I need to apply ?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Julian

Howard.
LANNet Computing Associates;
Your Linux people <http://www.lannetlinux.com>
"When you just want a system that works, you choose Linux;
when you want a system that just works, you choose Microsoft."