[Asterisk-Users] Adit Asterisk Cabling Connundrum.

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Dec 9 08:53:11 MST 2004

On December 9, 2004 10:30 am, Richard Reina wrote:
> I am hoping to replace my Nortel 8x24 switch with
> Asterisk.  Right now my cabling comes from my outside
> phone box into my office and into a punchdown block
> and leaves the punchdown block as an amphenol
> connector which currently plugs into the Nortel
> swicth.  A second amphenol connector them plugs into
> the switch and extends to another punchdown block that
> I believe carries the lines throughout the office to
> Cat 5 plug in which the individual phones plug into.

Typically what you'll see is that the demarc is a BIX strip and then you will
have another BIX strip going to a D50 connector to the phone system -- it
sounds like they combined the two (or you're just not seeing the telco
demarc)

What I typically do is get a D50-BIX cable and plug that into the channel
bank.  Then I take 8 lines from the telco and punch them down from the telco
BIX to the Adit's FXO ports on the D50-BIX cable.

Then I punch down the FXS ports on the Adit's BIX to the Norstar.

(let's see if I can draw this out, view in monospace font)

 12  34  56  78

So you have three BIX strips.  The Adit600 wiring is pretty straightforward,
I've shown it with 8 FXO and 8 FXS in slots 1 and 2, respectively.  The
Norstar system has really weird wiring, this is from memory so check with
your installer manual.

Regards,
Andrew