[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk 1.0.1 Too many open files

Sean Cook scook at kinex.net
Thu Dec 9 03:30:25 MST 2004

> I don't need to increase the system's imposed limit on the number of
> open files.  I'm more concerned to see if anyone has run across a
> memory or fd leak in asterisk that sucks them all up.

My apologies.  If you are looking for leaking fd's in asterisk, I am
afraid I am not much help.

> There should be no reason that I hit my limit of open files on this
> machine.  Restarting asterisk immediately solved the problem, so
> I'm leaning towards a leak, however, I didn't have the opportunity,
> in the moment, to check and see how many files and what type were
> open.

This may not necessarily be true.  If you are doing a lot of traffic on
that box you could quite easily chew up 50,000 fd with out much effort.
A simple way to test this is to increase the number of fd allowed and
see if the system continues to creap toward that number.

Although, you could tell if that was the case by when you run out of
fd's.  If you periodically run out during peak usage and then stablize
after peek usage... then simply increase... if at peak usage you run out
of fd's and it stays that way... leaking fd (i guess leaking is
incorrect, technically it is not closing fd properly or incorrectly
scoping fd... but that is symantics).