[Asterisk-Users] Ethernet Channel Bank idea

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Thu Dec 9 06:16:34 MST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 08:43:10PM -0600, nik martin said:
> Anyone ever thought about an Ethernet based channel bank?  Basically a
> rack mount set of 24 IAXys?  That would be cool, IMO.  No wrangling with
>  zaptel, etc.  IAX as the * <-> Channel bank protocol.

Yes. Search the list :-)

My idea was close, but a little different. I'd like to see an ethernet
unit that used the same modules as the TDM400P. Could even be a couple
of models: a 6 port, 12 port, and 24 port. Don't know about the 24 port
unit as a channel bank eats into that market. The 6 and 12 port modules
would be perfect for soho and small business that don't need the port
density of a full blown channel bank. This is the market that Asterisk
is AWESOME for. Stick * on a small embedded linux box like a linksys
router and plug in a 6-port IAXy with 4 FXS and 2 FXO. Need to expand?
Add another 6 port IAXy.

The modules for the TDM400P are economical enough to do this with and
beat out pricing of most of the larger (more than 2 port) SIP gateways
AND already have certification (or pending certification.) Of course the
big bonus is IAX instead of SIP.

Frankly, with all the interupt issues with PCI, especially if you need
more than one card, a low-port density alternative to the TDM400P is
needed.

This should really increase the volume of Digium's sales as there would
be a better alternative to the SPA-2000 and 3000. Increased volum drives
down the cost of the modules (which if they were made in china should
drop to ~10-20 each.)

Another reason for going small (6 port) is that you can use a embedded
low-power inexpensive processor for codec processing and keep it
inexpensive.