[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk + Satellite connection

mjr-asterisk at ranney.com mjr-asterisk at ranney.com
Wed Dec 8 18:02:22 MST 2004

"Jay Milk" <jay at skimmilk.net> writes:

> There have been prior discussion on this on the list -- just google for
> "starband site:lists.digium.com" and you should find it.  IIRC, there
> has been some sporadic success, but overwhelmingly, satellite-based VOIP
> connections are not considered feasible.

My company does IAX2/GSM over satellite links for many sites
throughout the world on through different satellite providers.  It is
fairly reliable.  There is obviously a lot of noticeable lag with
700ms RTTs, but you get used to that right away.

As long as there is a guarantee as to the minimum amount of bandwidth
your provider will give you, VoIP is feasible over satellite links.

Once the next generation of jitter buffer, timing, etc. gets finished
in asterisk, things will get even better over sat links and less than
desirable WAN paths.
Matt Ranney - mjr at ranney.com