[Asterisk-Users] SIP Client for Symbian

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Wed Dec 8 15:49:58 MST 2004

>>> I'm looking for a SIP client for Symbian OS...
>>> Someone known one? (free or not)
>>
>> Unless Symbian has branched off of cell phones, I doubt it. SIP on a
>> cell phone right now doesn't make sense.

> Steven, I think it makes total sense. I'm currently in the process of
> trying to source a better solution than my treo 600 in order to stay in
> contact (looking at either ppc or xp with cf/gsm adaptor)

> Anything that will enable me to answer my home and office and
> international office lines from a single device using sip/iax over gprs
> would be a boon in both time and energy and money saving.
>
> It's no longer your grandfather's telephone network.

I don't think Steven really meant that it doesn't make sense.  I think
he meant that it isn't practical.  I've read that latency on GPRS
connections (even on the faster AT&T EDGE and Sprint VISION networks)
is somewhere around 600 ms.  I've never personally measured it, but I
have used a Treo 600 on the T-Mobile GPRS network, and I can tell you
that that latency is WAY too high to make any real phone calls.  200 ms
is about the maximum latency you can really deal with on a VoIP call,
but even that is really too high.  At 600 ms, your voice wouldn't get
to the other party forever, and vice-versa.  It might be useful as a
Nextel-like walkie talkie device, but a real phone conversation would
be painful.