[Asterisk-Users] Re: Re: pc

Noah Miller noah at rosecompanies.com
Wed Dec 8 12:36:02 MST 2004

Sorry, wrong subject on previous post.  D'Oh!

>> I'd have to agree with the channel bank plan.  You don't even need to
>> buy a used channel bank.  You can get a new Rhino for $1500:
>>
>> http://www.channelbanks.com/
>
> I gather you've had experience with Rhino.
>
> How does it work with Asterisk?
> Does it provide all features? Caller-id, echo cancellation, how's the
> voice quality? Transfer? Conferencing? Message indications?
>
> In short, how good is it?
>
> And of course, can you provide configuration samples or point to where
> can get help on setting it up?

No, I haven't worked with one directly.  I guess the trick to getting
it set up would be to get the right setup in zaptel.conf, and the right
signalling in zapata.conf.  Here's what I fund in the WIKI for
configuring a channel bank on a T100P:

In /etc/zaptel.conf:
   span=1,0,0,esf,b8zs
   fxoks=1-24
In /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf:
   signalling=fxo_ks
   context=blah
   group=1
   channel => 1-24

 From there, AFAIK, you should be able to use the channels it provides
just like you would use the channels on a TDM400 or any other device.

>> dont forget these Rhino are *FXS ONLY*
>> CAC adit 600 or Adtran ta750 are usually more flexible (fxs/fxo)
>> AND dont forget if you get the dreaded echo you gonna want to budget
>> for a inline hartdware echo canceller

This is a good idea from TC.  If you got the ADIT 600, you could avoid
purchasing multiple TDM400's.  Specify some of the channels from the
channel bank as fxo's for your outside lines, and use the remaining
channels for your internal phones.  Then you could just buy one ADIT
600 and one T100P.