[Asterisk-Users] High(er) availability

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at Pool.Informatik.RWTH-Aachen.DE
Tue Dec 7 15:46:05 MST 2004

Hi!

> >> If one would like to build a redundant Asterisk setup, would it be
> >> possible to exchange the locationdb for the SIP  users between then?
>
> >Interesting problem as you need to be able to preserve state across
> >multiple servers. Did you look at that realtime app that's part of CVS
> > (maybe asterisk-addons)? If it stores the registration state of the
> >phones in a DB then both servers should have no problem being aware of
> >all regs if one of them fails.

Type this on your Asterisk CLI:

   database show sip registry

So, next to querying the AstDB (Berkley1 DB) regularly you could probably
catch the registration events thru the Manager API.

Then: According to Olle realtime does not work with NATted SIP users
(nat=yes), which means that realtime doesn't record any type of state-
like information. From what I understood res_data, however, does do so.

> Haven't looked into that, I believe that's for realtime reading of the
> config files (which isn't realy an issue, just rsync em)

It *is* an issue with larger numbers of users because in this case a
"reload" starts to be a problematic thingy. And if you rsync files you
don't get around a reload. Besides my experience is that too many reloads
without a restart in between make Asterisk unstable.

> >Prolly a sip reload would solve that. Wouldn't SER be a better option?

That questions I'd also underline.

> SER isn't an option, I need a PABX, not a SIP Proxy.

Why not simply combine SER and *?

Cheers, Philipp