[Asterisk-Users] Faxing..not 100%

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Tue Dec 7 13:52:47 MST 2004

On 2004.12.07 10:06 Matthew Boehm wrote:
> Here is the setup:
>
> POTS -> PRI -> Asterisk -> ATA (Fax)
>
> The ATA is set to only 711. Asterisk's sip.conf sets this device to
> only
> 711. Yet, faxing works less than 50% of the time.

I have a couple of different fax arrangements with Asterisk.

   POTS -> Asterisk (X100P) -> ATA -> Fax Modem (HylaFAX)

Probably the *only* reason I can get anything through this arrangement
reliably is due to the Class 1 ECM support of HylaFAX.  I see lots and
lots of ECM frame data errors, and the sender has to resend them, and
the faxes take longer than they should.  There are still often problems
due to a lack of synchronicity between the sender and the receiver, but
most of the time everything works out.

   POTS -> PRI -> Asterisk (TE405P) -> Patton T1 Fax Card (HylaFAX)

This is a nearly flawless arrangement when receiving.  I don't have any
problems with it, at least to any extent that I've noticed yet.

The only real difference that I can see in this scenario is that there
is some A->D/D->A conversion that is probably going on probably both on
the ATA and on Asterisk, and somewhere in that process it's being done
badly.

> Will going thru a router that supports T.38 help? I don't see how
> since
> Asterisk doesn't talk T.38.

T.38 is supposed to be the end-all happy solution to FoIP, but Asterisk
does not yet support T.38.

Lee.