[Asterisk-Users] High(er) availability

Patrick asterisk at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 7 06:57:35 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 10:54 +0100, E. Versaevel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If one would like to build a redundant Asterisk setup, would it be possible
> to exchange the locationdb for the SIP  users between then?

Basically I would start with building redundancy in the the primary
server, e.g. a ton of fans so one can break down without frying the box,
redundant hot swappable power supplies, hot swappable disks in RAID1 or
something like that. That will reduce the chance of the primary server
going down due to hardware problems.

Interesting problem as you need to be able to preserve state across
multiple servers. Did you look at that realtime app that's part of CVS
(maybe asterisk-addons)? If it stores the registration state of the
phones in a DB then both servers should have no problem being aware of
all regs if one of them fails. Question is how do you make the backup
server's Asterisk listen on the newly assigned IP of the primary server?
Prolly a sip reload would solve that. Wouldn't SER be a better option?

Which app do you use for monitoring the primary box and if it fails
taking over the IP address by the backup one? I haven't found a suitable
(active-active) app so far.

Regards,
Patrick