[Asterisk-Users] Re: Interface analogue exchange line to VOIP phone?

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Tue Dec 7 03:49:44 MST 2004

In article <Chameleon.1102412985.adar0 at vegas>,
Rich Adamson <radamson at routers.com> wrote:
> > I have a potential customer who has an existing PBX with analogue FXS
> > ports connected to phones. He wants to allow a single remote worker
> > to be connected to one of the analogue extension ports using VOIP.
> >
> > I know I could do it using Asterisk with an X100P card, but that seems
> > a bit overkill. Does anyone know of an analogue->VOIP adapter that has
> > an FXO port in it instead of just an FXS port? i.e. designed to connect
> > to an exchange line instead of a phone? The VOIP port on the adaptor
> > would then be made available over the internet, for the remote worker
> > to connect his VOIP phone to.
>
> A pair of Sipura spa-3000's (see forum at voxilla.com for configs). Also,
> some combo of spa-1000 and spa-3000 is likely to handle it.

Thanks Rich, looking at the Sipura site is looke like the SPA-3000 should
do what I'm looking for, with its FXO port connected to an extension line
on the analogue PBX, and its Ethernet port exposed to the Internet (with
suitable security) for the remote worker to point his VOIP phone to.

> Lots of other vendors out there doing the same thing. Most of those
> products have been sold in the past as "toll bypass" products, but they
> are doing exactly what you want.

I understood the "toll bypass" products as being for connecting an analogue
*phone* to a VOIP network (e.g. ATA-286), which was the opposite of what
I wanted. Anyway, the SPA-3000 looks ideal - thanks!

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield