[Asterisk-Users] Kind of off-topic: VoIP services and multipl e callers

nik martin asterisk-users at nik-martin.com
Mon Dec 6 20:07:56 MST 2004

Colin Anderson wrote:
>>If five people in the office all need to use their phones at the same
>>time, would I need five VoIP lines, or would I only need one VoIP line?
>>Am I over-thinking this?
>

> You would need 1 broadband connection, and technically, you would need only
> 1 ACCOUNT (I think that's the word you are looking for) but any VoIP
> provider that doesn't want to go out of business right away would enforce
> account limits so only 1 account could be in use at any one point in time.
> Otherwise, you could make an account and have 1000 people making calls at
> the same time. Think of it in terms of software licensing: With a VoIP
> account, you have a "license" to use their service, 1 user at a time making
> 1 call at a time. In the software world, this is called concurrent
> licensing.

I disagree. More users on the phone = more minutes used.  If only one
user was on the phone at the time = .02 cents a minute= out of business.
  If 10 users are all on the phone at the same time, .02*10 = .20 per
minute = CHA-CHING.  Providers gladly accept multiple connections.  Good
  providers don't charge per connection, they charge per minute.