[Asterisk-Users] Sveasoft Alchemy QOS

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Mon Dec 6 18:05:17 MST 2004

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Kanuri, Seshu (Company IT) wrote:

> Greg Wrote
>
> /SNIP/
> Everyone wins from this, and Sveasoft has a revenue stream that allows
> them to keep focused development on improving the firmware. I have over
> 60 of the WRT54GS units in production and I run Sveasoft firmware on
> every single one of them. It is so far ahead of Linksys's internal
> builds and adds so many additional features that there is no comparison
> between the two.
>
> "Hackware" indeed. What an insult to all of the quality developers that
> are putting their time and effort into extending the platform and making
> it one of the most incredible sub $100 routing platforms on the planet.
> /SNIP/
>
> That is not the issue here. The point is whether Sveasoft can charge
> $20.00 to release the source code that is acquired originally under GNU.

But they don't charge for the firmware. You can get the latest stable
firmware, build software, cross compilers and everything from here:

http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/dlman.php?func=select_folder&folder_id=10

If you want to participate in the Beta Program, and have access to the
NON-Stable, NOT RELEASED code, then you can subscribe. It is entirely up
to you. If you want to bitch about their policy, then take it up with
them.

> By the way have if you have paid $20.00 for each of your routers, you
> are paying 1/3rd of the cost of the router itself for this "upgrade".

So what? It adds several features that are not available on other routers
even at twice the price. For example, it is trivial to use the Satori
Firmware to enable a PPTP VPN between two routers to enable SIP devices to
safely and freely communicate w/out NAT, translation or STUN issues. That
is just one nifty thing.. there are hundreds of other benefits that are
too numerous to list.

> /Snip/
> one of the most incredible sub $100 routing platforms on the planet.
> /snip/
>
> Really? I have installed  satori on my WRT 54G and it disconnects my
> Vonage and Packet8 phones after 30 seconds of activity.

Sounds like SIP through NAT issues to me. Easy enough to fix w/ some basic
configuration changes. Have you posted any requests to the Sveasoft
support forums asking for advice? This isn't the router's fault..

> It also shuts down my Asterisk Server on Fedora Core2 if I put it on the
> same network.

Huh? Sounds like user misconfiguration and incorrect network settings.

> I have not found out the causes yet but I don't think Sveasoft is there
> yet.

Are you seriously going to blame a router for this? That is just plain
ignorant.

                             KP-216-121-ST