[Asterisk-Users] SoftPhone on * with X-Lite or iaxComm (1 X100P card)

el Flynn el_flynn at lanvik-icu.com
Mon Dec 6 16:43:16 MST 2004

Gerald J. Puhl wrote:
> To all:
>
> I am having an echo problem with X-Lite and iaxComm.  I am using the
> monitor speakers and  a desktop microphone. My problem is that the sound
> from the speakers is repeated by the microphone causing an echo that is
> annoying.  Is this correctable?  I have searched throught this archives
> and played with various settings but have not been able to fix this.  I
> have purchased a couple if different microphones that I thought may cure
> this problem,  but nothing changed. Is this just simply a bad chioce and
> I need to use a headset rather than an open speaker microphone setup?

Gerald,

What you're experiencing is a feedback loop, e.g: sound emanates from
speakers -> picked up by microphone -> fed through speakers -> picked up
by microphone -> repeat ad nauseum. It's nothing really specific to
Asterisk or softphones, rather more of a natural audio phenomenon.

You can minimize the effect through a couple of means:

1. purchase a microphone that has a unidirectional polar pattern, which
can reduce the amount of sound it picks up from sources physically
behind itself;

2. reposition your mic and speakers in such a way that the mic picks up
as little as possible from the speakers;

3. fiddle with the speaker volume and mic gain

#1 might be more costly than getting a cheap headset mic, while #2 and
#3 would be too troublesome as it would involve a lot of trial and error
and fudging around.

all in all you'd be better of getting the headset mic.

flynn