[Asterisk-Users] Re: BLOCKING incoming FAXES on voice line.

Steve Murphy murf at e-tools.com
Mon Dec 6 08:33:44 MST 2004

> At time to time somebody is trying "their luck" and send me most
> likely
> a junk fax on my voice line.  During normal working hours is not a
> problem I just pickup the line and hangup the call but after-hours my
> voice mailbox is intercepting the call and recording those
> "beeps" (waisting my CPU cycles).
>
> Is there a way to block call / issue hangup command if the incoming
> call
> is a fax?
>
> --
> #Joseph

Try the "fax" extension in your extensions.conf file:

exten => fax,1,Dial(Zap/4)

or

exten => fax,1,Hangup

>From the sounds of it, you don't have any menu for the incoming caller?
They come straight to your phone? You'll have to put in a menu now for
the incoming callers, play an announcement, etc. The result: No more
faxes. No more telemarketers (mostly). Your customers/coworkers have to
dial 1 or something else creative to reach you, which hopefully isn't
too much trouble.

So, your incoming menu goes from something like this:
[incomingcall]
exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,2,Dial(x)
exten => s,3,Voicemail(u1) ; If unavailable, send to voicemail
exten => s,103,Voicemail(b1) ; If busy, send to voicemail

Now, you COULD try just adding the fax extension, and not including a
menu. The trouble is, though, that unless the fax tone sounds right
away, asterisk will go straight to the dial before the fax tone is
heard. You might be able to insert a few seconds delay to allow the fax
tone a chance to be heard... but... I've never tried this, and it might
not work...

[incomingcall]
exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,2,Wait(2) ; remem, callers sit with blank line... wondering..
exten => s,2,Dial(x)
exten => s,3,Voicemail(u1) ; If unavailable, send to voicemail
exten => s,103,Voicemail(b1) ; If busy, send to voicemail
exten => fax,1,Hangup

Barring this, you can do the menu:

Your context now goes to:

[incomingcall]
exten => s,1,Answer
exten => s,2,Background,incoming-caller-announcements-sound-file
exten => 1,2,Dial(x)
exten => 1,3,Voicemail(u1) ; If unavailable, send to voicemail
exten => 1,103,Voicemail(b1) ; If busy, send to voicemail
exten => fax,1,Hangup
exten => t,1,Goto(incomingcall,s,2) ; can't think of something to dial?
exten => i,1,Background,you-have-not-chosen-wisely-announcement-snd-file
exten => i,2,Goto(s,2) ; shorter version of above
exten => o,1,Congestion

or whatever.

murf

--