[Asterisk-Users] Is Gigabit Ethernet necessary?

rsenykoff at harrislogic.com rsenykoff at harrislogic.com
Mon Dec 6 07:38:05 MST 2004

<snip>
For an office that is using VoIP phones to connect to Asterisk, is
> gigabit ethernet really necessary for the Asterisk box to connect to the

> switch? I know that I won't even approach the limits of 100 Mbps, but
> would gigabit help with latency / collisions when several calls are
> underway? The fact is, anything going outside the office will be over a
> data T1, so intuition tells me that 100 Mbps should be fine...  The
> office will have 20 phones, with remote VoIP phones added to the mix
> later on.

The reason to chose a Gigabit Ethernet card has nothing to do with
bandwidth - (most of?) these card use some sort of interrupt mitigation
technique which takes a hell lot of load off of the processor for
dealing with interrupts.

VoIP traffic, with it's typical many small packets, is very susceptible
to causing interrupt live lock on servers and routers and interrupt
mitigation scheme (or even polling, but that's rare) makes a real change
in performance.

Having said that, there are 100Mb cards that do interrupt mitigation as
well (for example AFAIK the Intel e100 cards) and there are drivers that
implement interrupt mitigation at the software level (customized drivers
for the tulip chip set based cards and the Linux NAPI framework).

However, it is simply much easier to just grab a Giga card then research
which 100Mb chip and which driver you need to get ;-)

Hope this helps,
Gilad
</snip>

Hope this helps... of course it does!!! :)

Thanks for the info everyone. Gigabit NIC it will be! Good to know this
stuff, especially if you're tempted to save $$ and pull old hardware off
the shelf.

Thanks again,
-Ron