[Asterisk-Users] asterisk dabbling...

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Sun Dec 5 00:04:51 MST 2004

Ray Jender wrote:
> Newbee here....
>
> I would like to play around with Asterisk a little.
>
> First, I need to prepare a server with FreeBSD.
> It's a PII 433mHz/256mb box. Good enough?
> Then install Asterisk.
>
> I have a broadband (cable) internet presence.
> Could I do anything with this connection and
> Asterisk?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rayasterisk

Ray,

	I hate to say this (I am a huge FreeBSD fan), but I believe that each
OS has it's own strengths.  While FreeBSD isn't any better or worse than
Linux for Asterisk, Linux was the platform that it was originally
developed on.  It sounds like you are new so I will suggest that you
stick with Linux for now and enjoy more support options, better hardware
support, and more documentation.

	I have run Asterisk on both (even inside a FreeBSD jail) and I will say
that I prefer to run it in Linux because as of now it just works better.
  My web servers, mail servers, etc, etc, etc. can run FreeBSD because I
happen to like FreeBSD for those tasks.  But not for running * (as of
now, that could change...)

	That hardware should be fine, but then again I don't even know what you
will be doing with it.  There are people that run * on P133's.  But like
anything else, don't expect it to be able to work magic just because it
is Linux and OSS.  Hardware limits are still hardware limits.  I would
say though, that for most of the common stuff that you will want to play
around (dabble) with, this machine sounds fine (some would say more than
fine).  I have run it on much less....

http://www.krisk.org/astlinux/

	As for cable internet, it all depends.  How much bandwidth do you have,
are you behind NAT?  What kind of packet loss/latency/jitter do you
typically experience?  If I were you I would just give it a shot and see
how it works!

P.S. - use kernel 2.6 if you can

--
Kristian Kielhofner