[Asterisk-Users] Two zaptel T1 cards: no clock from one

Lyle Giese lyle at lcrcomputer.net
Sat Dec 4 17:55:51 MST 2004

It is not important to have clocking between cards. Clocking is to make sure
everyone knows how long a T1 frame should last and everyone is doing it
exactly on schedule.

The problem is that for the most part a frame is buffered. So while the
DS0's are being processed, you don't have a new frame overwritting the old
info before it's read or the DS0 buffer is read twice.  If the timing
between the two T1's is off that is a problem and that's called a slip.
Either in reading the buffer, you get the same info twice for a certain
voice channel or you miss reading and the buffer is overwritten before your
card reads it.

When you have two cards, you need to make sure that you are taking timing
for the card from a good source.  If you are connecting to a telco, they
should all be good sources of timing and you shouldn't have any problems.

Probably another concept that is confusing is that timing is not syncing the
start and stop of the T1 frame, but really syncing the amount of time
between the start and finish of that frame.  Because the time to get the
signal from point a to point b varies from the amount of time to get a
signal from point a to point c, we cann't( and don't ) depend on the T1
frame starting at the same time.  It's really about filling the buffer and
having the correct amount of time to read it without overwriting it before
it's read or reading it twice.

Lyle