[Asterisk-Users] Is Gigabit Ethernet necessary?

rsenykoff at harrislogic.com rsenykoff at harrislogic.com
Sat Dec 4 16:32:46 MST 2004

For an office that is using VoIP phones to connect to Asterisk, is gigabit
ethernet really necessary for the Asterisk box to connect to the switch? I
know that I won't even approach the limits of 100 Mbps, but would gigabit
help with latency / collisions when several calls are underway? The fact
is, anything going outside the office will be over a data T1, so intuition
tells me that 100 Mbps should be fine...  The office will have 20 phones,
with remote VoIP phones added to the mix later on.

TIA,
-Ron