[Asterisk-Users] Best VM codec for Linux/OS X/Windows environment

Jason Becker jason at coalescentsystems.ca
Fri Dec 3 09:55:43 MST 2004

Chris TenHarmsel wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've done some minimal searching on this topic, but haven't come up
> with anything conclusive.  Right now we're using WAV to store
> voicemail messages, that then (for the most part) get sent to users in
> email when they have new voicemail.  The reason for this is that we
> have a very mixed environment, with most people in linux, some in OS X
> and a couple in Windows, and I haven't been able to get wav49 or GSM
> working on all three platforms.   Is anyone in a similar situation and
> have gotten either of those two compressed codecs to work?  Is there
> something I have to install in linux to get either working (some sound
> library or something)?

My experience has been that mplayer can handle the wav49 (GSM-encoded
wave file) but that snackAmp can't. I (obliquely) suggested that Digium
consider FLAC in another thread, I know OS X has an MacFLAC... To be
honest, I'm not sure of the state/availability of a FLAC plugin for WMP.

Regards,
--
Jason Becker
Director & CEO