[Asterisk-Users] drive space for voice mail

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Dec 3 09:03:16 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 09:27 -0600, rsenykoff at harrislogic.com wrote:

> <snip>
> Personally I have no issues with IDE or
> SCSI software RAID1 on Asterisk, but then again I don't use the
> problematic
> chipsets.
> </snip>
>
> I searched and found that Promise controllers were causing issues for
> some. Any others you know of off the top of your head?

With the huge number of vairables, it is a good idea to not introduce
more problems than neccessary.

I assume you are thinking of RAID 1 for the redundancy since you are
likely to lose the entire IDE channel and possibly the chipset if you
have a drive failure.

Consider what your recovery plan is with a software raid. If you lose
your primary drive, you won't be able to boot from the array. So now you
are on some other boot media and needing to repair the array.

Basically, if you want to bring yourself closer to enterprise level by
using RAID, why don't you take the extra step and make sure you can hot
swap failed components and not have to take your system down. After a
friend of mine lost his array of SCSI drives due to the one drive
failing to spin back up after replacing the  other, I don't feel
comfortable with non hotswap in drive arrays important enough for RAID.

Anyways, like many things, there isn't a boolean yes or no answer to
some choices. It just is a matter of how comfortable you are with
certain levels of performance/risk.