[Asterisk-Users] Blank Machine Again.

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Dec 3 00:45:12 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-12-03 at 17:22 +1100, Alan Ingleby wrote:
> After a bit of looking around,  I realise that my initial descision to
> go for Fedora Core 3 may have been a bit premature, (I read that some
> experienced users are having issues with this version) so I'm starting
> again.
>
> I just tried Xorcom Rapid, but it looks bloody complicated, and fairly
> stripped back.

Stripped is a VERY good thing. Should try debian at some point.

> Which is the simplest (and most supported / used) distro / asterisk
> version to use from scratch?

A large portion of linux elitists use debian or some off shoot of
debian.

> I have a high spec machine sitting here (2.6/256/40), and I'm ready
> for suggestions.

With 3.6g chips out in the market and 3.8g announced, 256m memory being
nearly entry level at best, and 40gb drives haven't been made in a while
now, you don't have a high spec machine. Not shabby for the needs and
probably plenty adequate, but be aware of the landscape before thinking
you are on the high end.