[Asterisk-Users] zaptel and low ring voltage

Jim Van Meggelen jim at vanmeggelen.ca
Thu Dec 2 18:19:30 MST 2004

Ryan Courtnage wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 03:14 -0500, Jim Van Meggelen wrote:
>> Possible, but also possible that there is too much loss on the
>> circuit.
>>
>> You can test the ringing voltage with a meter, it needs to be
>> between 90V and 110V.
>>
>> Beyond that you may need to use a transmission test set (such as a
>> Wilcom T136B). I got mine for $20 bucks on eBay. Using a butt set and
>> the test set you'll need to call a 1004Hz source from TELUS and then
>> check that you're within the following specs:
>> Loop mA:		23 or better (too hot is no good either, but I
>> doubt that's your problem)
>> Circuit loss:	between 0 and -8dB. 0 is really too hot, -3 to
-6 is
>> nominal, -8.5 is pushing it, but still within spec.
>
> This is excellent feedback.  I will certainly froogle for one of
> those test-sets.
>
> Do you use Telus, and can you disclose their their test
> numbers (ie: 1004Hz source, others)?

I used to work for TELUS, but not on the carrier side, so I don't have
access to that sort of information. I'm based in Ontario, so I know more
about those resources with Bell Canada.

Check out http://www.hackcanada.com/. They claim TELUS is their local
carrier (http://www.hackcanada.com/telco/index.html), and since there's
no love there they're willing to give up all kinds of interesting
information.

Let me know how it turns out - I'll help however I can.

Cheers,

Jim.