[Asterisk-Users] PRI litmus test

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Thu Dec 2 02:29:21 MST 2004

On 1 Dec 2004, at 15:22, Peter Svensson wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Enoch Root wrote:
>
>> I'm diagnosing a problem related to PRI card.  I would
>> like to know the following: assuming I've got a
>> working PRI card and correctly installed Linux drivers
>> and a PRI line connected to the card, even without
>> starting asterisk, shouldn't I hear a ring tone when I
>> dial the number?  I'm getting busy tone all the time.
>
> Without a a correctly coded q.931 conversation driven by a program the
> central office is likely to (should really) consider the line down and
> signal an error. If you tried phoning from an isdn equipment you would
> likely see a cause code that explained the situation better.
>
> First make sure that the lower level is connected correctly. Run zttool
> and make sure you are not seeing a local red alarm or any remote
> alarms.
> You may need to start Asterisk to get the span started, I am not sure.
> When zttool shows the span to be up you can start working on the upper
> layers.
>
> Peter

Just a warning, based on my experience with NTL here in the U.K.

Even after you have zttool and asterisk running and happy, you may
still not have
a working system.

Whilst setting up asterisk I had triggered so many alarms on NTL's
monitoring
screens that the ops guys had marked the line as out-of-service just to
shut it up !

This meant that no calls could go in or out, even though the interface
came up fine.

When I rang support they quickly put it back in service and things
started working.

Tim.