[Asterisk-Users] Re: cisco 7940 help

Luke Catranis luke at catranis.net
Thu Dec 2 08:39:16 MST 2004

Solar winds... free tftp

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Asterisk
users
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 10:18 AM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Re: cisco 7940 help

Hi,

I spent 3 days trying to upgrade my 7960's with similar probs to what
you
say. My problem was that my TFTP server didnt follow the RFC's properly
and
didnt respond with 'file not found' when a file didnt exist. the phone
kept
on looking for the same file over and over and never moved on to the
next
step in the upgrade process.

the trick for me was to use a different TFTP server. Klever Pumpkin,
Windows
2000, and the newer 3Cd all worked. my original broken TFTP server was a
3Com one. so perhps you should try pumpkin as its prolly the easiest for
temp solution.

cheers,
Mick

"Andrei (MPI)" <asterisk at markovprocesses.com> wrote in message
news:41ADE2B5.4000000 at markovprocesses.com...
> Rich Adamson wrote:
>
> >>I've successfuly converted 7940 from call manager firmware version 3
> >>SIP 7.3. just last week. You need to upgrade to firmware version 6
> >>first, then upgrade to 7.
> >>Also once you've upgraded the phone, you should remove firmware
config
> >>file from tftp server, otherwise the phone would be in constant
upgrade
> >>loop. There is couple of tricks in between.
> >>

> >The phone does a version check before attempting an upgrade. If the
> >same, it doesn't bother upgrading again. No need to remove anything.
> >
> >In fact, my server has v2.3, 3.3, 5.1, 6.1, etc on it at all times.
> >Some of those are required (in steps) to upgrade the older 7960's.
> >

> Rich, I am telling what I saw on my 7940: it was in a constant loop
> trying to upgrade again and again.
>
> You may say that Cisco phones are easy upgradable and all one need is
> just follow instructions, but that won't help the man who was pulling
> his hair off.
>
> Andrei

To UNSUBSCRIBE or update options visit: