[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk without D-Channel possible?

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Wed Dec 1 08:17:09 MST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Steve Underwood wrote:

> Patrick wrote:
> >I'm running an Asterisk 1.0 server with 4 HFC cards and bri-stuff behind an
> >"Anlagenanschluß" with 8 B-channels in Germany. It worked fine with Deutsche
> >Telekom, but since we switched to Arcor nothing works at all.
> >After some debugging, I called Arcor helpdesk who told me that they do not
> >have a D-Channel and cannot signal one at my request either.
> >
> >Is it possible to use Asterisk without a D-Channel? What should my
> >zaptel.conf and zapata.conf look like?
> >

> Sure its possible. It isn't much use, though :-)
>
> The D channel carries the signalling. No D channel, no call control. You
> just have 8 open, but useless voice channels.

Maybe he has NFAS (Non Facility Associated Signalling) where the D channel
on one of the BRI lines handles the signalling for the B channles on all 4
BRIs.

There is support for NFAS in Asterisk via "trunkgroups" in the zapata.conf
config file. I have no idea if this works for bri-stuff as well. It may,
since both are zapata devices.

Peter