[Asterisk-Users] SMS & Asterisk - an explanation

Scott Stingel scott at evtmedia.com
Tue Aug 31 18:01:29 MST 2004

Maxim-

This will not work through a FWD DID as you suggest.  BT requires each
telephone number to be registered in order to receive SMS messages.  You
need a either an analogue, BRI, or PRI line that terminates in your asterisk
box directly.  The way a line gets registered is that you must initiate a
special SMS message on the asterisk box from the number you are registering
(see the details on the asterisk Wiki page, under the SMS command)

Once you have registered a number, you can send an SMS text message from a
UK mobile to that number, and the asterisk box will receive it, assuming
that you've defined SMS handling for that number in your dialplan.

IMPORTANT NOTE:  As of two weeks ago when I tested this, BT is only
accepting SMS's from Vodafone mobiles - O2 and Orange do not work yet.  (not
sure about T-Mobile)  You can send messages to all carriers however.   This
is expected to change in the next couple months when BT will accept SMS's
from all carriers.

Regards
Scott Stingel

Scott M. Stingel