[Asterisk-Users] PLC (Packet loss cancel) questions

Chris Shaw chriss at watertech.com
Mon Aug 30 13:45:00 MST 2004

>- Channel Support:
>    IAX2 in asterisk
>    IAX2 in libiax2
>   Other IP channels in asterisk (RTP-based ones, I guess are all that is
left).

CNG/VAD and DTX in SIP is a must if * is to be taken seriously as a complete
solution... As much as we all hate it's complexity and wish that everything
would speak IAX (I know I do) a large number of devices support (and will be
supporting) SIP, making it equally as important as IAX2  in using * as a
complete telephony solution...

> DTX Support:  Sending a single CN packet (in IAX2, this should probably
>  sent reliably)  would probably be good.

I second, third and fourth this one as does anyone who's tried to use
BroadVoice with Voicemail... Currently when * is not making any noise (e.g.
recording) absolutely NO packets are sent back to the proxy... A lot of
proxies take this as a sign that the far end has disconnected... Including
BroadWorks! But they do recognize small CN packets as a sign that the SIP
device (Asterisk) is still there...

PLC I think is somewhat implemented already in codecs that support it, but I
could be wrong, I remember seeing mention of it in the code...

This would be SOOOOO helpful!!!

    -Chris