[Asterisk-Users] G729 licenses

Marcelo Pacheco marcelo at macp.eti.br
Mon Aug 30 08:55:02 MST 2004

Monopolists ?

Isn't GSM just an older codec whose patents expired already ?

At $10/channel, I'd gladly use G729 for everything that isn't LAN, just to
save the bandwidth. If it was a monthly/yearly/per call license, that would
be another matter, but at a one time charge, it tips the scale for me. Of
course, here in Brazil, guaranteed Internet bandwidth costs about 3x as much
as in the US, so it's a different situation. The lower cost ADSL ISP's here
explicitly prohibit usage of any VOIP traffic with their service.

How many years until the G.729 patents expire ? I know there's one due to
expire in a few months. But if as the G.729 patents expire hopefully making
them free, if someone brings about a 5.3/6.3kbps (G.723) codec for Asterisk
at the same $10/channel license, I think I'd still take them as well.

My only real issue with G.729 is I can't integrate them into iaxcomm for
Windows. Hate to have to burn CPU time with transcoding, thinking about
running aLaw/signed linear for everything on the lan.

Regards,

Marcelo Pacheco