[Asterisk-Users] Suitable for Dynamic IVR Platform?

Bill Seddon bill.seddon at lyquidity.com
Mon Aug 30 09:13:45 MST 2004

I saw Umar's response and I have to say, pretty unhelpful.  If you are going
to do some reading, you will want to search in the voip-info wiki for
information on the AGI.  This feature allows you to use just about any
programming language that is able to read stdin and write to stdout and
stderr to create call processing steps.  Using AGI you could read some data
from a database and send it to a caller.

The other the bit of reading you should focus on is the Asterisk
"applications".  The choice of "application" as the generic name is a bit
misleading because, for the most part, the applications form the verbs of
the Asterisk syntax.  While there are some genuine applications such as
VoiceMailMain() for the most part the applications do utilitarian things
like set the value of a variable.  Type "show applications" at the Asterisk
command prompt for a list of the currently available applications (including
the one to run AGI scripts).

AGI is fairly straight forward to use: read a string representing arguments
from stdin; execute commands (applications) by writing to stdout; report
errors by writing to stderr.  The documentation is a bit thin on the ground
but wiki contributors have documented the functionality and gotchas.  The
final thing to say about AGI is that one contributor has thoughtfully
provided a package for Perl so that, if you are prepared to write Perl
scripts, the details of reading from and writing to asterisk are abstracted.

Bill Seddon