[Asterisk-Users] Still unacceptable echo on X101P

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Mon Aug 30 08:56:54 MST 2004

Michael Graves [mgraves at mstvp.com] wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:21:04 +0100, Kevin Walsh wrote:
> > I don't have echo problems on my X100P (at home) but that won't stop
> > me from dumping it in favour of a Sipura SPA-3000 next month, once it
> > gets full UK support in firmware (caller ID etc.).
> >
> Bear in mind that many of us who have been using the SPA-3000 in the US
> have also been experiencing echo related problems. I'm trying the
> latest firmware which is only a few days old, but I'm pretty close to
> chucking it in favor of something else.

I have seen similar reports from couple of people on this mail list,
but I'd expect that people who suffer problems from external analogue
devices to be in the extreme minority.  Echo could be caused by a
broken (or early?) Sipura model or some other mismatch, or problems
with your PSTN line.

There's no disputing that moving the FXO to an external device removes
any issues with the PCI bus (and the motherboard) from consideration.
Any leftover echo must be either caused by a line problem (in which
case there's not a lot you can do yourself anyway) or by LAN problems.

Some people have reported echo using two digital phones connected via
the same LAN, or over an ISDN line.  There are lots of causes of echo.
Using an external FXO simply removes the PCI, motherboard and processor
speed etc. from the list.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz