[Asterisk-Users] iaxtel and jitterbuffer

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Sun Aug 29 12:52:56 MST 2004

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> Also, is are logs of problem conversations already in progress any use to you?
> You nailed down the "dead audio after 65535ms" problem but every now and
> again (very very rare) we will have a conversation where the incoming audio
> goes totally dead for about 2-4 seconds and then continues just fine.  This
> occurs usually several minutes into the conversation, and I've never seen it
> occur twice in a conversation.

Logs of parts of a call are fine.

The jitter buffer makes all its decisions about dejittering based on the
timestamps of incoming frames.  There a fundamental expectation that the
sending side is correctly stamping each frame - 20msec, 40msec etc etc.

The problem is that the sending side doesn't always do that.  Sometimes
for one reason or another the stamps "jump".  The receiver has no way of
telling that the sender mangled the timestamps, and assumes that the
packets with the new stamps have been delayed, or arrived early, or
whatever.  Either way, the jitter buffer does its thing and unknowingly
makes things worse.

Unfortunately, this is why you can still be better off without it - but
the problem really needs to be fixed by fixing the timestamp generation on
the sender.

Steve