[Asterisk-Users] Servers

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sun Aug 29 12:36:38 MST 2004

On Sunday 29 August 2004 15:20, Steve Maroney wrote:
> Im interested in hearing about servers (and thier hardware specs) that
> successfully run both asterisk and samba for an office of maybe about
> 12 extensions (SIP) and about 12 workstations. Im hopeing to not only
> replace a traditional PBXs with Asterisk/Linux but to provide a solution
> to needs such as a file serving, email serving, etc.

Typically speaking you do *not* want to do that.  Asterisk is a
latency-sensitive application and serving files, web pages, etc. is just
asking for trouble.  Certainly it can be done but you're asking for weird and
inconsistent little problems.

It has nothing to do with the processor load; it has everything to do with I/O
and interrupt latency.

-A.