[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk to Vonage

Chris Shaw chriss at watertech.com
Fri Aug 27 08:28:33 MST 2004

> The way I interact with BroadVoice though isn't officially sanctioned, I
> didn't prefer to use their "Asterisk Only" SIP gateway, in which they
> charge you 3.2 cents a minute (or whatever) when you exceed the first
line.

Where did you get this info? I have been using broadvoice for 2 months now
and have never heard of this? I have heard of the 3.2cents a minute thing,
but have never experienced it myself, I occasionally have calls on more than
one line when others are using the phone and I don't know it...

>ok.. could we add a 'hunt group' to * and roll incoming calls over to
>several extensions?

This totally defeats the purpose of VoIP.... This is going back to
circuit-switched mentality... Remember that in VoIP a "Line" is just a
username assigned to you by an ITSP, it can be a name or a number... You
don't need rollover because it's just a connection like someone sending an
E-Mail to your SMTP server...

I realize what you mean, getting several accounts and "Rolling" them over so
you can have multiple call appearances, but this breaks the whole idea of a
pure VoIP setup... At $20-30 a month, you might as well use a TDM400P and
add a second PSTN line, there are plans out there where when you sign up for
a 2nd line you get unlimited long distance...

    My 0.000000000000000000000002

    -Chris