[Asterisk-Users] Re: Asterisk compatible E1 cards

Marcelo Pacheco marcelo at macp.eti.br
Fri Aug 27 07:32:39 MST 2004

First there's Analog R2 and digital R2. I'm concerned with digital R2 (R2D)
only.

R2 is equivalent to the american robbed bit signalling used in the US.
Q.421 is the ITU document number. It costs money to download the
specification. And it is only the generic part of it, it doesn't cover the
country-to-country specifics.
I have a document in Portuguese for the Brazilian R2D specification, meaning
the specifics for our country.
I'm intending to write it, but I'll only have the hardware about 1 month from
now.

For India, you would need to contact the Indian telephony regulatory agent,
maybe they have it available over the Internet, I got the Brazilian document
through our national agency's site.

Also, before you can plug a Digium card to any Indian telco provided E1, you
need to get the card certified, otherwise it can get you jail time/fines, at
least in other countries. Here in Brazil I'm planning to plug it into a
Brazilian certified PBX to avoid any legal trouble.

Marcelo Pacheco