[Asterisk-Users] Telemarketer screening

Mark Woods asteriskadmin at fuse.net
Thu Aug 26 19:22:33 MST 2004

David,

Yes I have, and also with call through direct for friends.

What I've done is implemented a caller ID check that works this way:

1)  Incoming call is checked for friends/family caller ID and sent
directly to the inside extension (9491).  You will see that as the first
part of the config below, with the numbers/names edited for the list, of
course.

2)  Incoming call is checked for annoying caller ID and sent to a
"goodbye" message and then disconnected.

3)  All other calls get a standard greeting.  If you know the inside
extension to dial, you can dial it while the greeting plays (for
friends/family that are not calling from their normal number).  If you
don't you'll be told in the message to dial another extension that takes
you directly to voicemail.  If you don't dial anything, you'll time out
and be disconnected.

This works well, it seems.  Friends/family get through fine, annoying
people won't get anywhere, and everyone else gets a standard greeting.
This standard greeting takes care of almost 100% of the telemarketer
calls because they're not human and can't interpret my message.  Their
system just thinks it's an answering machine and hangs up.  A human
telemarketer can choose to leave a message if that person so desires,
but, to be honest, between this and the "do not call" list, I haven't
had an issue.

Hope this helps...config below.

-Mark

.  Here's what's worked for me:

; We begin by matching caller id for dialthrough
; Answer the line
exten => s,1,Wait,1                     ; Wait a second, just for fun
exten => s,2,Answer                     ; Answer the line
; Match caller ID, if you can
exten => s/##########,3,Goto(9491,1)    ; Work
exten => s/##########,3,Goto(9491,1)    ; alt work
exten => s/##########,3,Goto(9491,1)    ; Mom at home
exten => s/##########,3,Goto(9491,1)    ; Moms cell

<etc, etc, etc, all of my friends and family>

; Throw unwanted callers away
exten => s/##########,3,Goto(t,1)       ; Annoying person...

; Continue to prompt if no callerid match
exten => s,3,DigitTimeout,5             ; Set Digit Timeout to 5 seconds
exten => s,4,ResponseTimeout,10         ; Set Response Timeout to 10 seconds
exten => s,5,BackGround(markintro)      ; Play the intro