[Asterisk-Users] Codec

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Aug 26 06:35:16 MST 2004

On Thursday 26 August 2004 04:13, altus wrote:
> I want to know what the best codec is to use for asteris for VOIP
> We have two towns connected with a 64k line that's going to do VOIP with
> astersik.At the moment with the default installation the quality is bad and
> the bandwith is high.
> Is this even a codec problem

64kbps is not a lot of bandwidth; You would probably be best with g729 (it
costs $10 per simultaneous transcode) -- i.e. if you only ever have one
conversation at a time then it's $10 for your license.

You can also try iLBC, speex or GSM but you're rapidly running into the limit
of your link.

If you don't care about audio quality you can play with LPC10.  It's extremely
low bandwidth but if you try it you'll know why. :-)

There is no "best codec" -- it's all a balance of budget, quality and
bandwidth.

-A.