[Asterisk-Users] Overhead Paging

Brian Pavane asterisk-users at brianpavane.org
Thu Aug 26 05:12:33 MST 2004

All,

I am currently implementing a VoIP PBX, and need to deal with the paging
situation.  I would prefer to do paging via overhead speakers.

My plan is to connect a "Paging Unit" to an FXS port of an IAD, and assign an
extension to that port.  I would then simply be able to call that extension, and
have my call patched through to the overhead speakers.

Has anyone implemented this type of setup, if so, what type of paging unit did
you deploy, did you require an external amplifier or power supply, and how many
speakers were you able to connect to the unit?  As it stands, I will need
between 4 and 8 speakers, and some of the speakers will be 400 feet from the
main telco closet.

Any thoughts, comments, and suggestions that you can shed on this topic would be
much appreciated.  If you have other methods of implementing overhead paging, I
would also be interested.

-Brian