[Asterisk-Users] GSM to BRI ISDN Gateway

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Thu Aug 26 02:07:08 MST 2004

In most countries the legislation which licences the cellular operators
to use certain spectrum for certain types of communication also controls
who may provide publicly offered (and sometime privately offered)
interworking services. This may also apply to wireline services. It is
very country dependant (possibly even region dependant), so you need to
check the detailed rules in your location. You might, for example, be OK
doing things with SMS, but not with voice. Another level of checks you
need to make is the details of your agreement with your service
provider. Even if the licencing regulations say it is OK, your contract
may not. Service then tends to be abruptly cut at the most awkward
moments, and there is nothing you can do about it.

In general telecoms licensing legislation tends to say you cannot do
anything unless you are explicitly allowed to, so beware. :-)

Regards,
Steve