[Asterisk-Users] system reboot often?

Michael George george at mutualdata.com
Wed Aug 25 03:44:24 MST 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 08:29:10PM -0500, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> > If * doesn't like IRQ sharing, how can I scale up a machine with several Zap
> > card?  Or is it okay to share IRQ's with other Digium cards?
>
> It isn't advisable to have "many" Zap cards in a machine. If you are
> adding analog cards, you quickly run out of PCI slots before you get
> very far. If you are adding T1/E1 cards, you quickly get to a point
> where it is too risky to have that many circuits on a single x86 PC. The
> whole point of X86 PCs is that they are cheap enough to put several in
> use when you need it instead of building one behemoth machine.

Well, we only want 3 TDM400s: 4 FXO and 8 FXS.  That will fit in nearly any
desktop PC.  That's not the scale that should require multiple boxes.

But the question is where does the IRQ sharing instability creep in?  I would
think that *someone* out there would have a * box with 2-4 Digium cards in it
that might be willing to share their experience.

If the Digium cards can only be reliably run in a machine with only 1 or 2 of
them, then I need to know so we can plan appropriately.

Thank you.

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
	Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.