[Asterisk-Users] Zaptel/Zapata and SIP relationship

Steve D. sd at northcc.net
Tue Aug 24 19:23:01 MST 2004

In my test configuration, I have a Budgetone, an Iaxy and two computers
running X-Lite.  My server has one X100P in it (no line hooked up yet).
Currently, I can call from any phone to any phone except on one, when
the caller calls me, I can't hear the caller (using an X-Lite) but the
caller can hear me.  If I call him, everything works fine.  If I pick up
another phone while two phones are talking, the connection dies (both
phones go to busy signal).

I am very new to Asterisk and I am reading everything I can get my hands
on but this one is eluding me.  What exactly is the relationship between
Sip to Sip and Sip to IAX and Channels?  Do I need more channels defined
in Zaptel/Zapata?  Everytime I try to add a channel ztcfg errors out.
Does each connection require a separate channel?  One other thing, are
the context names in one file related to context names in another file?

What I am trying to accomplish is putting the Asterisk box at my office
and have 3 or 4 SIP/IAXY phones located at various points on a wireless
network (40 sq miles).

And failing all else, what is the going hourly rate for commercial
support?  I'm sure someone who knows what they are doing could have this
figured out in an hour instead of me banging my head against the wall
for another week.  At least that way, I'd have a working system to
reverse engineer.

Thanks for any help.

Steve D.

Typical entries: