[Asterisk-Users] Monitor() hangs

Manuel Wenger manuel.wenger at ticinocom.com
Tue Aug 24 12:46:23 MST 2004

We use the Monitor() command to record all incoming calls to our call center. After about 100 incoming calls, the Monitor() command starts to hang, as follows:
- a call comes in
- Asterisk starts recording, the -in.wav and -out.wav files are created
- the partys talk
- after a while (between 1 and 15 minutes), both partys hear only silence (as in "no RTP data flows").
- when this happens, Asterisk stops recording (the wav files don't grow anymore, they just sit there open).
- when this happens, all other SIP calls active at that time suffer the same problem (ie. the callers don't hear each other anymore)
- the Monitor()ed call's channels remain there, as if the call were still active, even after the caller hangs up (Asterisk ignores the hangup)
- if I "soft hangup" the channels, Asterisk finally destroys the channels, writes the CDR record, closes the wav files and soxmix'es them.
- the other, non Monitor()ed SIP calls that suffered the "silence" problem are hung up correctly if one of the 2 partys hangs up (ie. the channels don't "hang" there forever like the Monitor()ed call)
- if I listen to the recorded wav file, the recording just stops abruptly at the end, no click, no anything - not even silence. It just stops

I'm quite clueless. A July CVS-HEAD is exhibiting the same behaviour. We are using SIP only, nothing fancy. The PSTN gateway is somewhere else, not on Asterisk.

We are using CVS-HEAD-08/24/04-08:09:55 on Fedora Core 1 (Kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptlsmp) on a Dual Xeon server (HT disabled). We never have more than about 20 channels active at a time, so I don't think the system is "too loaded".

Anyone?

Thanks
-Manuel