[Asterisk-Users] Bell Canada Caller-ID

Matt G gibson at experthost.com
Tue Aug 24 07:07:18 MST 2004

Has anyone gotten CID from Bell Canada to work properly with *?

We have our * box down at our datacentre in St Louis, and whenever we
call it from a Bell Canada Telephone line, all we see is '' for the CID.
I did some digging on google and the mailing lists and couldn't find
anything pertaining directly to Bell-Canada and * CID, but didn't find
much. I did however find :

            *7. I'm in Canada, why doesn't my Caller ID work?*

    /Yes, there is a country where things are more complicated than the
    UK. Most people think that Canada uses Bellcore, just like the USA.
    It does - almost. For some reason, the former Stentor member
    companies use a non-standard implementation of MDMF. Bellcore uses
    DN (Directory Number), usually the 10 digit number that includes the
    area code found in the phone book. Stentor uses DDN (Dialable
    Directory Number), a variable length number that is the number that
    must be dialed to call the other person
    back (ie local calls don't include area code, long distance includes
    the preceding "1"). Normal Bellcore MDMF identifies each part of a
    message with a Message Type Word parameter, and the DN is assigned
    Parameter Type 02. The Canadian Stentor switches assign DDN to 03.
    This is incredibly confusing for anything that only looks for the DN
    in 02, and this includes Unimodem (see below). Some modem drivers
    (and Canadian phones and caller ID boxes) check for both DN and DDN
    and will display either - 3Com ones for instance (and is there a
    general patch, perhaps for Unimodem?). Otherwise, you just have to
    avoid TAPI and use software that specifically knows about this quirk
    - Identafone
    <http://www.ainslie.org.uk/callerid/cli_soft.htm#Identafone> is one,
    but most Canadian authors seem to have found out about this the hard
    way ;-). The relevant document was called Stentor document ID-0001
    "CALL MANAGEMENT SERVICE (CMS) CALLING NUMBER DELIVERY (CND) (Single
    and Multiple Message Format) Terminal-to-Network Interface".
    Following the upheavals in the Canadian telecom market it is now
    Bell Interface Document <http://www.bell.cdn-telco.com/bid/>
    BID-0001 and will cost you CAN$50 to download. Incidentally,
    Stentor's standard also allows for a Parameter Type 06, which
    includes a flag that indicates that the call is long distance and
    CallerID is not available, but it may no longer be in use.
    /

This came from the CID FAQ.

When I call in from an american #, the system picks up CID fine. If I
call from a canadian or american mobile phone the CID works fine
(usually telling me 'location' 'number' not 'name' 'number' but that's
fine).

Has anyone dealt with this before and/or found workarounds for anything?

[relevant portion of dmesg]
Zapata Telephony Interface Registered on major 196
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 01:00.0
Framer: DS21552, Revision: 3 (T1)
Found a Wildcard: Digium Wildcard T100P T1/PRI
Registered tone zone 0 (United States / North America)
Using ESF/B8ZS coding/framing
Calling startup (flags is 4099)
Using ESF/B8ZS coding/framing
Calling startup (flags is 4099)
Registered tone zone 0 (United States / North America)

[versions used]
[root at pbx asterisk]# pwd
/usr/local/src/asterisk
[root at pbx asterisk]# cat .version