[Asterisk-Users] Uniden UIP200 Review

Ryan Courtnage ryan at voxbox.ca
Sun Aug 22 17:37:41 MST 2004

Tim // NCS wrote:

> Im new to this list, and ran across this post about a Uniden UIP200.  Since its
> been a few months now, I was wondering how it's turned out so far.

Tim,

We have deployed several UIP200 phones (22 to be exact).

The phone hardware is of exceptional quality, and it contains some very
nice features like programmable buttons (speed-dials), headset jack,
tilt-up display, 10/100 switch, and PoE support.

There are, however, some firmware issues that Uniden has yet to resolve:

- Audio prompts get clipped in several situations (ie: while navigating
voicemail menus in voicemailmain, or using the Directory application).
We've notified Uniden of this issue.  Uniden has _not_ yet acknowledged
this problem, however it is a common one (for uip200+asterisk users anyways)

- You MUST use nat=never in sip.conf. The UIP200 does not like rfc3581
(rport), and will not reply to requests that contain it.  Using
'nat=never' in sip.conf disables *'s support for this rfc.  Uniden has
acknowledged the issue (DR#60).

- If you wish to disable call-waiting, you will need to do it at the
server-side. There is a bug in the UIP200 firmware that will cause the
phone to drop calls if call-waiting is disabled in the phone's config
file. Uniden has acknowledged the issue (DR#61).

- Even more serious, is random phone rebooting using certain uip200
firmware versions.  The latest version of the firmware, 4.59a, exhibits
this problem .  We're forced to stick with 4.55 (which has been stable).
  Uniden has been notified, but has _not_ yet acknowledged the issue.

Aside from the audio clipping issue, the #1 complaint we hear is the
inability to cancel a consultive transfer (ie: If the person you are
transferring to does not want to take the call, there is no way to
return yourself to the original caller).  Uniden has this item on their
development road-map, but it keeps getting pushed ahead.

Asterisk users are the minority of uip200 customers. With that in mind,
issues that occur only in an */uip200 environment will probably not be
treated as top-priority by Uniden.

Despite the issues, the UIP200 is still a good value for the price, and
it stands out as a winner among the similarly priced SIP phones that are
currently available.

Hope this helps in you decision making,
--
Ryan Courtnage