[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and software Raid

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Aug 21 14:26:30 MST 2004

On Saturday 21 August 2004 15:17, Lyle Giese wrote:
> My experience with IDE in raid arrays is less than stellar and will be
> trashing them as I rebuild servers.  I have had several instances where one
> drive fails and the entire array falls over as the kernel struggles to
> recover from the loss of a drive or the error messages.  I have seen this
> with Linux generated arrays and with the Promise IDE raid cards.  Besides
> the performance of the Promise parallel IDE raid sucks big time.

Odd, I have absolutely *zero* issues with Promise PATA cards...  I use
strictly software RAID on both SCSI and IDE on Linux 2.4.  Never had issues
with the kernel failing due to I/O load on rebuild or dealing with failed
drives.

Note: You can easily throttle the I/O bandwidth used for rebuilding
through /proc.  I've never had to do it though.

Now mind you all I do is software RAID1.  I don't do RAID5.  I typically buy
drives in pairs and then use LVM to give me a big "blob" of storage and
partition it up as I see fit with logical volumes.  The largest (# of drives)
array I have is an 8-drive array, with 6 in pairs and ganged together for
about 300G and then a separate RAID0 on a pair of old IBM DeathStar drives
for my temporary data area for MythTv.  This is all on a cheapass Pentium3
system.  No issues even when running in degraded mode.

-A.