[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk and software Raid

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sat Aug 21 13:20:07 MST 2004

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, Ed Devine wrote:

> I've got a Dual Xeon system Digium Quad T1 and an Idle T1 circuit that
> I can experiment with. I've been wanting to use Redhat with software
> Raid 1 on an Asterisk server.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with software raid and Asterisk? Also, if
> the software raid doesn't play, any recommendations for a hardware based
> IDE Raid controller and suggestions on best practices for setting up the
> disk partitions (2 X 40 GB. Maxtors) for a mirrored environment would be
> appreciated.

I have a Dell, 1 Ghz PIII 1U rackmount server, w/ a T100P (PRI) running
Tao Linux (RedHat Enterprise 3.0) on 2 40 gig drives in RAID-1.

I've had as many as 20 calls on the box at one time, and never noticed an
issue. Of course, 90% of our calls are pass-through Ulaw, and although
we have g729 licenses it doesn't get used very much.

Never had a problem with it so far.

However, if you are looking for an IDE Hardware Raid solution, I have
tried everything on the market, and I can honestly say that for price,
compatibility and reliability, the 3Ware cards are the best bet. This is
the only card that we spec for clients, as the Promise and Adaptec stuff
is garbage.

Incidentally, if you want a good deal on a Promise Fast-Track SX 6000, I
have a few laying aroung! ;)

                             KP-216-121-ST