[Asterisk-Users] Forwarding PSTN to PSTN?

F. Edward Barrett feb at skibowski.net
Fri Aug 20 17:17:05 MST 2004

Hi there.  I've got a question about what I think is a non-standard
usage for asterisk.  What I want to do is receive inbound calls on an
analog line and connect that call to another number out there on the
PSTN (actually, I want to alternate calls between two numbers, but
that's not the part I'm asking about).  I don't think I'm using any of
the IP telephony part of asterisk in this application, I just want to
have asterisk keep the call record.  I've pulled asterisk from CVS as
of a couple of days ago and was able to build the software and connect
over SIP, so that much is okay.  I believe what I need to do is to work
with the example at
<http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+call+forwarding> and try to
understand what's going on there before going too much farther.

One other (stupid) question regarding this:  If I'm using plain analog
telephone lines, do I need two seperate lines for this (one for the
incoming, one for the outgoing, which means I need two FXO ports) or
can I somehow do this with one line?

Alternately, if this is something that could be more easily accomplished
some other way, pointers would be appreciated.  I'm a network admin,
not a phone guy.

Thanks,
Edward Barrett
--